For seniors looking to improve their health and quality of life, exercise can’t be beat. But functional training in particular could be most effective. This kind of exercise mimics ordinary, every-day actions to build strength, mobility and power. It’s sometimes called fitness for the real world, and it’s well suited to older adults. The goal isn’t building big, developed muscles. It’s improving movement, flexibility, and coordination. For seniors in Reno who want to stay healthy and independent, that’s important.
Why Functional Training
Functional training was initially a form of soldier rehabilitation following World War I. Soldiers coming home from the war had injuries that affected their ability to walk, stand, sit and bend. Functional exercises were developed to address issues of mobility and core strength. Instead of focusing on isolated exercises, like those in bodybuilding and power lifting, functional training is a return compound movements for multiple benefits.
- Better movement – Our bodies are designed to move, but our sedentary lifestyles are only increasing. Functional training exercises have full movement patterns for less individual muscle growth and more overall function.
- Better posture – Both proper technique and unilateral exercises can help correct poor posture and muscle imbalances.
- Increased muscle tone – Even without building muscles individually, functional training is a great way to build strength in the entire body.
- More fat loss – Full-body exercises boost the metabolism and improve strength, endurance and mobility.
- Better stability – Functional training emphasizes balance, core stability, flexibility, mobility, and overall strength.
- Better core strength – The stronger your core, the more stability you have.
If you’d like to learn more about functional training for seniors in Reno, the certified personal trainers at Framework Personal Training can help. Contact us today for a consultation, and let’s get started with functional training to improve your strength, mobility, flexibility and health.